Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Relationships, Part 3

I just returned from a short trip to the mountains for my daughter's graduation celebration. As the women of the family sat around in the evening, we began to talk about how we grew up. We began to compare at what age and how we dealt with the changes of womanhood.

I realized that although my daughter is seventeen and my mother is seventy, there is a connection that all women have that allows them relate to each other. Grandmothers and moms were once teenagers, and no matter how much technology and society have changed, being part of the sisterhood of women remains the same. We can learn a lot from the women around us; especially from our moms.

When I was fifteen my mother made me plan, shop, and cook two meals a week for our family. I also had to clean the house throughout the week along with my sister. I remember mopping the floor and grumbling to my sister that our mom only had children to have servants to do her work!

When I grew up and got married, several of my friends got married around the same time. My friends struggled with shopping and planning meals and how to run a household, while I found it very easy and natural to take care of my new home. It wasn't because I was so smart; it was because my mother had prepared me to be able to take care of myself and my new family even when I did not understand or appreciate it.

The next time you have to do laundry, take out the trash, or wash the dishes, instead of griping and whining, thank your mom for preparing you for the future. You will probably surprise her and definitely bless her.

Continue walking in your beauty this week, ladies.

Kristi

1 comment:

  1. So true... Even though I don't whant to admit it. I would catch myself doing the same thing, mumbleing and wishing I didn't have to do chores. Even though I do not own a home of my own yet I have friends that do and a couple of them are lost in what to do, they feel over whelmed almost. My mom has been gone out of state for four months now so everything was kinda dumped on me the last second. I understand now why she was so hard on me about house work. not only can I take care of my self but also another family member.

    ReplyDelete